Production & Retail Assistant
About the Company
Good Flower Farm is a small, woman-owned organically-operated skincare brand with a production and retail space located in Bayfield, WI. Learn more about us here.
We mindfully craft high-quality skincare products using organic herbs. Some of our best-sellers include: natural deodorants, face creams & serums, organic lip balms, herbal salves, face masks, and more. We sell our products online direct-to-consumer, wholesale to more than 150 shops around the country, and are opening our first retail location in downtown Bayfield this summer.
We are deeply committed to being environmentally-conscious & intentional - from what we create to what we consume, so we do our best to lessen our footprint from the creation of products & the ingredients used to make them to how they are packaged and shipped.
This position will be responsible for assisting in the operation of our retail location in Bayfield, the production of skincare products, and the packaging & shipping online orders. The retail store looks into our production space, so this position will move between the two areas as needed.
This position must be based in the Bayfield area. It is in-person, hands-on, and does not include a work-from-home component.
This is both a customer service and a technical position that requires great attention to detail, quality control, interest in working with the general public, and ability to follow precise instructions and work autonomously. This position is primarily indoors, most work performed while standing and moving around, and involves following standard operating procedures for making products and packaging orders.
Reports To: Owner Rachel Carpenter
The duties & responsibilities of this role include:
- Following defined safety & sanitation procedures, including frequent handwashing, wearing provided PPE (if/when applicable) while working, proper sanitation of work surfaces & tools, and more.
- Assist in maintaining inventory of ingredients, containers, and other necessary supplies.
- Organizing & maintaining an orderly & clean space.
- Maintaining consistent records according to company system.
- Being aware of and reporting any potential issues with materials, ingredients, containers, etc, as they arise.
- Making products following specific, predetermined formulations and protocol.
- Measuring, weighing, and counting accurately during production.
- Closely monitoring formulations while in production.
- Filling containers.
- Labeling containers by hand and/or using manual label machine.
- Cleaning & sanitizing tools and equipment.
Online Order Fulfillment:
- Packaging products for shipment & fulfilling orders.
- Quality control all outgoing products & orders.
- Double/triple-checking all orders are packaged properly with accurate product & quantity ordered.
- Assist in maintaining inventory of shipping materials & supplies.
- Welcoming customers into the store, assisting with their shopping experience, answering questions, suggesting products.
- Becoming very familiar with the entire Good Flower Farm skincare line.
- Regularly assessing & maintaining retail space: tidying displays & products on shelves, cleaning shelves, floors, etc.
- Operating POS system to successfully check out customers.
Potential future growth opportunities for this position:
- Administrative tasks such as social media, marketing, customer communication, and more.
An ideal candidate for this position is:
- Available *16-24 hours/week.
- Passionate about sustainability, natural wellness & beauty/skincare, and herbs.
- Able to follow detailed processes with great attention and commitment to accuracy.
- Able to work efficiently while remaining attentive to detail.
- Adept at basic math skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with all Good Flower Farm’s products (after training period).
- Able to lift 50+ pounds unassisted.
- Not sensitive or allergic to scents or ingredients used in production.
- Able to work standing or sitting in the same position for extended periods.
- Able to work unassisted and unsupervised after training period.
- Humble and able to admit mistakes while being committed to growth and development both professionally and personally.
- Positive with excellent communication skills.
- Comfortable communicating needs & feedback openly & constructively with supervisor.
- Reliable and high integrity.
- *Flexible to work additional hours as needed.
Education & Experience:
- No official education/degrees required.
- Skincare knowledge and interest.
- Knowledge of & experience with herbs and herbal preparations - or strong interest in learning.
- Retail experience.
- Order fulfillment/shipping experience.
- Production or culinary experience preferred.
- Chemistry and formulation knowledge & experience preferred.
- Familiarity with GMPs (Good Manufacturing Practices) a plus.
40 S 2nd Street, #101
Bayfield, WI 54814
Schedule & Compensation:
*16-24 hours/week. This is a long-term, year-round role, not a temporary summer position.
*We fully intend for this position to grow over time and anticipate steady growth. Our ideal candidate is available to work *up to* 40 hours/week as needs arise. This is our first experience with a retail location, and we may need to be open additional hours as we assess demand. Our online sales are also steadily growing.
Compensation: Starting at $15/hour with the opportunity for a $1/hr raise after 6-8 weeks. Does not include benefits.
Role to commence after interview period, as soon as possible.
Non-traditional benefits include:
- Option for complementary products as available, if/when approved by supervisor.
- Opportunity to be part of a small but growing team & brand currently represented in more than 150 shops across the country and has been carried by Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie.
- GFF merch (it’ll be cute, promise).
Send email, Subject line “Production & Retail Assistant Application,” with PDF attachments of resume & cover letter, and anything else you think we should see to Rachel at email@example.com.